A number 1 ranking in Google:
- attracts the lion share of visitor clicks and gets
- a lot more clicks than no2 position, and
- vastly more than the other 8 listings in the SERP
Of course, that’s assuming your search engine results page (SERP) snippet is as ‘clickable’ and ‘relevant’ as the competing pages’ snippets for that search query.
Organic listings as a whole get more (perhaps double) the clicks a sponsored ad listing attracts according to musings in the seo industry at the moment but it suits Google to balance that out in the future (because Google makes more money from advertising). I would be more specific with the numbers, but I don’t trust most stats out there these days about such things.
Everyone wants to know:
How to get to number 1 on Google?
…but the truth is Google changes what is number 1 in SERPS pretty often.
Typically there a few obvious ways to get to number 1:
- Free / Natural / Organic Listings
- Organic Listings
- Social Updates
- Sponsored / Advertising links
A number 1 ranking in Google natural listings is most valuable, because you do not pay for the clicks. Free traffic from Google is the holy grail. Websites with a lot of organic number ones get a lot of free traffic from Google.
In compeitive niches, you will need to pay Google to be number 1 using Google Adwords, and this will continue to be the case as Google becomes more an more, a local search engine (IMO). Google Adwords is typically the fast way to get to number one for valuable and competitive keywords and keyphrases.
Search Engine Optimisation
Search engine optimisation is the process of making pages ‘as relevant as they can be” for search engines to believe they are valuable enough to be considered for top rankings for as many key-phrases as possible in organic or natural listings.
Nobody knows for sure how to get number 1 on Google, not exactly anyway, but getting to number one in Google is largely down the reputation of your website and how relevant pages are to keyword queries. This of course needs to be manipulated to get the the best out of a site, and that’s where companies like Hobo come in.
Typically you get to number 1 by having a good online reputation. Big brands have good reputations. Big brands rank at the top of Google, too. Your reputation is increased by the number of quality web pages that link anywhere to your site. Typically relevant pages with the most, and sometimes the best, links rank at the top of Google natural / organic listings.
Instead of focusing on number 1 in Google, your focus should be to appear in as many Google properties as possible, to give your business as much opportunity as possible to appear for as many searches as possible that are relevant to your business. FOr instance, we are a seo company, so ranking for ‘hot to get to number 1 on search engines like google, Yahoo or Bing might well be valuable to us.
- How hard is it to get to number 1 Google? Ultimately this depends on the competition for the keyword or keyphrase and the reputation of your website. New websites typically find good rankings hard to come by in Google in competitive verticals.
- Placing number 1 on Google and getting no traffic? You must be number 1 for a keyword that is not widely searched for.
You searched for ‘how to get to number 1 on Google’ and I hope this article has shed some light on this – at least you know you should be asking:
- how to get to no1 in Google organic listings?
- how to get to no1 on sponsored listings in Google?
- how to get your site number 1 on Google news?
- get number 1 listing on Google maps results?
- how to get number 1 on Google video results?
- how to get to number 1 in Google image search?
- how to get number 1 in Google shopping comparison?
- how to get website 1 in Google blog search?
- how can i get a site to number in Google updates?
- how to get number 1 on Google local business (now Google Places)?
You can get to number 1 in Google for free if you know what you are doing, and if you don’t, you can pay Google Adwords or find a search engine optimiser like Hobo who can consult with you to help you rank no1 in Google, Bing & Yahoo search engines’ organic listings.
On a final note, beware seo companies who promise no1 ranking guaranteed. No one can guarantee no 1 rankings in Google: