I am Head of SEO at Hobo & MBSA Marketing LTD.
I practice and learn daily about SEO, user experience, conversion optimisation, web accessibility and link building. I have worked on hundreds of websites and managed hundreds of online marketing campaigns in many industries over almost 20 years.
I started this website in March 2006.
I have been involved in developing and managing search engine marketing projects for thousands of sites, some websites with a few pages and some websites with millions of pages.
I have nearly 20 years experience online and specialise today in search engine optimisation for Google.
I’m experienced in site quality analysis, web usability, user experience, conversion rate optimisation, and landing page SEO.
Skills & Endorsements
My Top ‘Skills’ has been voted thus by 3K+ Linkedin connections:
- SEO (circa 300 endorsements)
- Web Marketing
- Online Marketing
- Website Development
- Online Advertising
- Organic Search
- Link Building
- Google Analytics
According to Linkedin (and voted by third parties), I also know about…
- Web Development
- Web Analytics
- Google Adwords
- Keyword Research
- Social Media Marketing
- Conversion Optimization
- Landing Page…
- Digital Marketing
- Blog Marketing
- Search Advertising
- Lead Generation
- Content Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Google Webmaster Tools
- Online Lead Generation
- Affiliate Marketing
- Website Promotion
- Copy Writing
- Internet Strategy
- Online Reputation…
- Local Search
- Search Engine Submission
- Social Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Google Website Optimizer
I am involved in a large community of individuals that learn and blog about Google SEO. As a result, I have been listed on about 500 Twitter Lists (although I tweet relatively rarely) and this website ranks for a lot of seo-related keywords:
I develop the organic marketing strategy for this site and at MBSA Marketing LTD, and part of that marketing strategy is based on the technical data I can gather and adherence to Google Webmaster Guidelines, where sensible.
I spend a lot of my time organising to collect that data and breaking down challenges in SEO, identifying markers in processes, and illustrating solutions to SEO problems my clients (and most sites have) so that my in-house coding team manager can turn that into the code for my in-house SEO platform.
The rest of my time is spent stress testing, beta-testing, and analysing data reports so that I can help clients prioritise which area to focus their resources on.
I am a white hat SEO by necessity. I manage client websites in the same fashion as I manage the Hobo Web site. Essentially, that means following Google Webmaster recommendations to the letter, when the skills to do that are available, and being very specific about when and where to apply specific methods, and deploy chosen methods in the simplest way possible and as exactly as Google recommends it be done.
A way to think about modern SEO is that Google demotes your site when it can detect anything unnatural about it, in any area, rather than promotes it. If Google trusts your site, and users like it, then you are in good shape.
As others fall you rise, so avoiding Google’s punishment algorithms is a good first step. I also proceed thinking Google is continually raising the ‘quality’ bar in every area. Low-quality link building is a good example: essential a few years ago, this is now too risky an investment to deploy for real businesses – not with the level of manual quality rating going on.
Google can demote you for user, operational, technical, content or backlink quality issues and that’s the stuff you need you identify and fix.
Outside of this technical exactness, I aim for, the theatre of conflict and opportunity is now ‘user satisfaction’ and ‘conversion optimisation’, for me, anyway, as opposed to ‘manipulation’ using outdated SEO techniques that we have trained an AI to identify.
I manage and write the content for this Hobo website. As a result of blogging and activity in my industry, the Hobo site has attracted 8 million visitors over its lifetime, so far and over 45K email subscribers.
In April 2009, I published a ‘Beginners Guide To UK SEO‘ (updated in 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2018) which has been downloaded hundreds of thousands of times.
- Ranked N01 Best UK SEO Blog by Feedspot (2018)
- Ranked N05 in “29 Awesome SEO Blogs to Follow in 2018 (Graded and Ranked)” by Ahrefs
- My ‘white hat’ content strategy (for this website) made it to the front page of Reddit (May 2015)
- Circa 300 endorsements on Linkedin for ‘SEO.’
- Listed in the search for “The most influential individual in UK search marketing and SEO” by The Drum Magazine (2014)
- Nominated for Best SEO Blog at 2012 UK Search Awards
- Voted ‘Most Influential’ UK SEO 2010 in Industry Poll
- Voted 60th Most Influential Marketer of 2009
- Guest Presenter – Jim Boykin’s SEO Class 2008
- Official Guest Speaker IWTC Irish Web Technology Conference 2008
- Guest Speaker SECC Grow Your Own Business Conference 2008
- Best Emerging Business – RUNNER-UP – Chamber Of Commerce Bees Knees Awards 2007 (with Hobo)
- GOLD WINNER – SFEU Scottish Colleges Marketing Awards 2006 (for North Glasgow College)
- Scottish Finalist ‘SHELL LIVEWIRE’ 1998
- FINALIST – Royal Bank of Scotland Marketing Challenge 1998
- WINNER – PSYBT Princes Trust Inverclyde New Business Idea Awards 1997
- REGISTERED MEMBER – RNIB’s Campaign for Good Web Design Supporter
Feel free to connect with me on any of the channels below: