I thought it would be cool to post an on-site seo tip a day (weekdays of course ;) ) over the course of July, so the first one will be posted later today, with a new one posted every day after until the end of July.
Update – Recently we updated this article here – Learn DIY SEO.
Update – Our DIY SEO guide has been updated: Go to Learn Search Engine Optimisation Basics :)
Of course, there’s no one best way to optimise a website, but I thought I would share how I do it, and of course all comments will be welcome – I might even learn something – I hope it will become a useful resource :)
Want to know about something in particular? Add it to the comments on this page and I will address it in due course. Experienced seo out there…. keep the smackdowns to a minimum please lol :)
Learn SEO (K9)
So about 25 links will soon appear below – What Is SEO? :)
- Page Title Element – Important – Unique
- Meta Description (optional but advisable in most cases) – Unique
- Keyword Meta Tags – Ignore!
- Robots Metatag (optional) – Be Careful
- Heading Tags (H1, H2, H3 etc) – Use Only One H1 Tag on a page
- How Many Words On A Page For Google? There is no magic amount
- What Is The Perfect Keyword Density For SEO? There is none
- Link Internal To Relevant Pages
- Link Out To Related Sites
- Redirect Non WWW To WWW, Google?
- Optimize Your ALT Tags For Google?
- Search Engine Friendly URLs
- Keywords In Bold Or Italic
- Which Is Better? – Absolute Or Relative URLS
- Which Is Better – Directories or Files?
- PHP, HTML or ASP For SEO?
- Valid HTML & CSS
- 301 Old Pages
- On-Site Duplicate Content Issues
- Fix Broken Links
- XML Sitemaps
- Nofollow Internal Links
- Only The First Link Counts?
- Link To Important Pages
- Bonus – Put your keywords early in page copy – like high up in the code.
- Bonus 2 – Read Google Webmaster Guidelines