According to usability expert Jakob Nielson, 95% of website visitors absolutely hate with a passion unexpected or unwanted pop-up windows, especially those that contain unsolicitaed advertising. Infact, it is the Number 1 Most Hated Advertising Technique!
It’s pretty inconvenient then to find that pop-ups can increase subscription conversions on a blog like this one, by over a whopping 50% when used, as I do sometimes.
Creating a new browser window should be the authority of the user only. Do not try to pop-up new windows to clutter the user’s screen.
All links should open in the same window by default. An exception, however, may be made for pages containing a links list. It is convenient in such cases to open links in another window, so that the user can come back to the links page easily.
Even in such cases, it is advisable to give the user a prior note that links would open in a new window.
Pop Up Window Tips:
- Tell visitors they are about to invoke a pop up window (using the link <title> attribute)
- Popup windows do not work in all browsers.
- They are disorienting for users
- Provide the user with an alternative.
UK Government recommendations:
‘All links must open in the same window by default’
Guidelines for UK Government websites
Illustrated handbook for Web management teams
- Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001
- Guide to good practice in commissioning accessible websites
- Web Accessibility Code Of Practice British Standard
- The Grey Area Of Website Design: Web Accessibility
- Accessible Website Design In The UK
- What Is The WAI?
- Who started the W3C?
- What is WCAG?
- What is Section 508?
- What is the RNIB
- RNIB Campaign For Good Website Design
- Can I be Prosecuted Over An Inaccessible Website?
- Who Prosecutes Companies?
- Web Accessibility Legal Cases in the UK
- Designing Websites For Blind Users
- Test Your Website For Accessibility Issues
- Web Accessibility Discrimination Prosecution cases in Australia
- When Must A Website Be Accessible By?
- Web Accessibility Minimum Requirements in the UK
- First company prosecuted in the UK over inaccessibility
- Who is Jakob Nielsen?
Website Design Tips
- Why NOT to build a site with Frames
- Why NOT to build a site with Flash
- Do NOT build Text Only Versions Of Website
- Speed up your website load time
- Should I Use Popup Windows?
- Keep It Simple Stupid!
- Why Keep Your Navigation Consistent Across Your Site
- Separate Content From Design
- Is My Website Legal?
- UK Governments Advice on Accessible Websites