I am Head of SEO at Hobo Web LTD. I am a search engine optimisation consultant.
I love SEO, user experience, web accessibility and link building. I have worked on hundreds of websites and online marketing campaigns over the last 15 years, in many industries.
I started working in an advertising agency in 1999, and thought up a dedicated website design division of the agency, in 2001/2, and, seeing Google as the future of advertising, went on to start this website, and then co-found Hobo Web LTD, a specialist SEO company based in Greenock, near Glasgow, Scotland, on April 01, 2006.
I have been involved in developing websites and managing search engine marketing projects for universities, colleges, charities, corporates, small business and sme, finance sites, well known UK brands, cathedrals and the NHS – to name but a few.
My blog usually attracts over 100,000 visitors a month and has over 20,000 regular subscribers.
In April 2009, I published a ‘Beginners Guide To Google SEO’ (updated in April 2013 and in April 2015) which has been downloaded hundreds of thousands of times.
Google has sent this over 5 million users since I started blogging in 2007.
I have 14 years experience online and specialise today in search engine optimisation for Google. Before I was obsessed with Google, SEO and link building, my passion was accessible website design – that is, designing websites that are accessible by all.
I’m interested in web usability, user experience, landing page optimisation.
Things I’ve done:
- My ‘white hat’ content strategy (for Hobo) made it to the front page of Reddit (May 2015)
- 250+ endorsements on Linkedin for ‘SEO.’
- Nominated for Best SEO Blog at 2012 UK Search Awards
- Voted ‘Most Influential’ UK SEO 2010 in Industry Poll
- Voted 60th Most Influential Marketer of 2009
- Guest Presenter – Jim Boykin’s SEO Class 2008
- Official Guest Speaker IWTC Irish Web Technology Conference 2008 (SEO)
- Guest Speaker SECC Grow Your Own Business Conference 2008 (SEO)
- Best Emerging Business – RUNNER-UP – Chamber Of Commerce Bees Knees Awards 2007 (with Hobo)
- GOLD WINNER – SFEU Scottish Colleges Marketing Awards 2006 (for North Glasgow College) with Adpartners
- Scottish Finalist ‘SHELL LIVEWIRE’ 1998
- FINALIST – Royal Bank of Scotland Marketing Challenge 1998
- WINNER – PSYBT Princes Trust Inverclyde New Business Idea Awards 1997
- REGISTERED MEMBER – RNIB’s Campaign for Good Web Design Supporter
I write about SEO on my blog. Here are some examples:
Making High-Quality Websites
- Google Quality Rater Guidelines 2015
- Quality Raters Do Not Directly Impact YOUR site
- Quality Bar – Always Rising – Always Relative?
- What is the PURPOSE of your page?
- What Are YMYL Pages?
- Main Content (MC) of a Page
- Supplementary Content
- How Reputable & User Friendly Is Your Website?
- Ratings Can Be Relative
- Can Thin Content Still Rank In Google?
- What Are The High-Quality Characteristics of a Web Page?
- What Characteristics Do The Highest Quality Pages Exhibit?
- What Are The Low-Quality Signals Google Looks For?
- Pages Can Be Rated ‘Medium Quality’
- Google Quality Algorithms
- Google Panda Updates
- What Is Google Panda?
- User Experience = SEO WIN!
- Website Usability Tips
- Focus On The User
- Optimise For User Intent & Satisfaction
- Things, Not Strings
- Google Is Not Going To Rank Low-Quality Pages When It Has Better Options
- Google Is Evolving and Content Marketing With It
- The Importance of Unique Content
- Long Tail Traffic Is Hiding In Long Form Content
- Google Algorithms Target Low-Quality Content
- Low-Quality Content Is Not Meant To Rank High in Google.
- Are Keywords – and Keyword Research – Dead?
- Editorial & Informative In-depth Content
- How Much Text Do I Need To Write For Google?
- How Many Words Can I Optimise A Page For?
- How Often Should Important Keywords Appear On Your Page?
- What Is Keyword Stuffing?
- Can I Just Write Naturally and Rank High in Google?
- How Do You Improve Web Content in 2016?
- Optimising For The New Opportunity
- How Long Does It Take To Write Seo-Friendly Copy?
- Repurposing Content
- Optimising For Topics And Concepts
- Optimising For User Intent Satisfaction
- Optimising For The Long Click
- Does Google Prefer Fresh Content?
- What is link building in SEO?
- How To Build Links In 2016
- What Are ‘Natural‘ & ‘Unnatural‘ Links?
- How Link Building Has Evolved
- Negative SEO
- Is Link Building Dead?
- Links Like Lasers
- Basics of Link Building
- What Do Search Engines Say About Link Building?
- Building Links Is Easier When You Have Content Worth Linking To
- Tell The World About Your Site But Don’t Get Caught Asking For Links
- Get Links From REAL Sites (Sites That Do NOT Exist JUST To Link To Other Sites)
- Do Off-Topic Links To My Site Count?
- Which Links Affect A Website’s Ranking In Google SERPs?
- Should I Copy My Competitor?
- Should I Buy Links To Improve Google Rankings?
- Are Reciprocal Links With Unrelated Websites Safe?
- What Is The Best Way To Build Links?
- Are Directory Submissions Worthwhile?
- What is Broken Link Building?
- Do I Want A Link On ‘Links To Useful Sites’ Pages?
- Avoid Article Marketing Syndication
- Avoid Low-Quality Press Releases & Advertorials
- Are Social Shares the ‘New Links‘?
- Are Google Plus Votes Important Ranking Factors?
- LinkBait With Information-Rich Content
- How To Get Local Links
- Avoid Low-Quality Links
- Earn Media Links
- The Perfect Link Request Email
Search Engine Submission
- What Are The Top Search Engines In the UK To Submit My Site?
- Connect Your Website To Google & Other Search Engines
- How Do I Check If My Site Is In Google?
- Why Can’t I Find My Site In Google?
- Do I Need To Pay to Get Into Google, Bing or Yahoo?
- How Do You Submit A Site To Search Engines?
- How Do I Connect My Site With Google Search Console?
- How Do I Verify A Site with Google Webmaster Tools?
- How Do I Automatically Get New Web Pages Into Google?
- Do I Need Links for Google To Find My Site?
- Should I Submit My Site To Directories?
- Which Paid or Free Search Engine Submission Tools and Services Should I Use?
- Why Is My Website Not Listed in Google Search WEEKS or MONTHS After Submitting It?
- Can Social Media Links Get My Site Indexed by Search Engines?
- How Do Search Engines Work Out Where My Website Ranks?
- How Do I Improve My Ranking Position in Google?
- Will Google Find New Pages on My Site?
- How To Put Your Company Logo On Google SERPs
- How Do I Submit a URL To Google Local Business Results?
- Submit Your Site to Google Maps, Google Places for Business and Google+ Local
- How To Improve Your Ranking in Google Local Business Results
- Best Practices for Google Places (From Google)
- Accessible Website Design
- Designing Websites For Blind and Visually Impaired Users
- Avoid Text Only Websites
- (RNIB) Royal National Institute For The Blind
- RNIB See It Right Web Accessibility Review Audit
- RNIB Campaign For Good Website Design
- Designing Websites For Deaf / Hard Of Hearing Visitors
- Designing Websites For Mobility or Physically Impaired People
- How To Design A Website For People With Learning Disabilities
- Web Accessibility Checks, Tests, Tools + Resources
Special Needs in Education
- What Does SENDA Mean in Practice?
- When Did SENDA 2001 Compliance Take Effect?
- Making A Website Comply With SENDA
- PAS 78
- PAS 78 is not ‘rules’, is not ‘new web design guidelines’ and is not ‘the law’
- Basics of PAS 78
- Scope of PAS 78
- Choosing A Website Designer
- BS 8878 2010 Web Accessibility Code Of Practice British Standard
- Is Your Website Legal? Does It Comply With UK Laws on Disability?
- UK Disability Rights Commission (DRC)
- Does My Website Have To Be Accessible?
- What Are The Consequences If Your Website Design is Not Accessible?
- What Is meant by ‘Reasonable Adjustments’ to A Website?
- What Level of Compliance Should Your Website Meet?
- Who Can Build You A Website That ‘Complies with UK Law’?
- How Do you Choose a Web Site Design Company?
- Web Accessibility Opinion
- Section 508
- 1998 Amendment to Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act
- First Company Prosecuted in the UK Over Web Accessibility (DDA)
- Since When Must A Website Be Accessible In The UK?
- What Are The October 2004 Changes to the DDA?
- Accessible Website Design in the UK
- The Grey Area Of Website Design: Web Accessibility
- 10 Quick Tips For A More Accessible Site Design from the W3C
- Who Enforces UK Website Accessibility Laws?
- UK DDA Prosecutions Over Inaccessible Website
- Web Accessibility Discrimination Prosecutions Cases in Australia and US
- Web Accessibility Checks, Tests, Tools + Resources
- What Are Meta Tags?
- Do Meta Tags Help SEO?
- Does Google Use What Is In Meta Tags For Ranking Pages?
- What Do Meta Tags Do in SEO?
- Do Meta Tags control my search snippet listing in Google?
- Can I force My Meta Description To Be Used By Google?
- How To Write Meta Tags
- What Are The Important Meta tags?
- Meta Description SEO Best Practices
- Can Pages Still Rank High Without a Meta Description?
- What Does Google Say about Meta Descriptions?
- Can You Control What Message Appears in The Google Search Snippet?
- Meta Description SEO Tests & Observations
- Does Every Page Need a Meta Description?
- Does Google Use The Meta Description When Ranking A Page?
- Problems with Unique Meta Descriptions
- Meta Keywords SEO Best Practice
- Meta Keywords SEO Tests & Observations
- Robots Meta Tag SEO Best Practices
Feel free to connect with me on any of the channels below: