By now everybody knows internal linking is very important – it gives you a chance to add keywords into your link profile and lets users navigate your website via contextual links. WordPress self ping trackbacks in comments (nofollowed by default) are a different beast though and if we are to believe the recent announcement on how Google treats nofollow links they might actually be sucking the PR right out of your blog.
I was reading a blog earlier today and noticed they’d self pinged an article about 50 times from their own blog posts!
If Google is treating nofollow as Pagerank sinkholes, why introduce 50 nofollowed links to a page that does not need them via trackbacks from your own blog that dissipate Google Pagerank?
There might be an excuse for nofollowing external links in blog comments, (although we do not, using
Hobo Linky Love)but surely not internals?
Advice – keep the comment area for comments, turn self pings off in WordPress with no self pings and conserve Pagerank pr link juice or whatever it is we’re working with these days, so you get more of your pages into Google.
QUICK TIP – Want to remove those trackbacks from posts? It’s easy, just go to your WordPress Admin panel, go to Comments, and search for “[...]” and you’ll see all the trackbacks you have and you can choose what to remove.
PS For beginners – What is a self ping? It’s when you link to a post on your own blog, and you get a trackback in the comments. Not only do you possibly waste pagerank unnecessarily, you insert duplicate content on to recipient pages, which is not a great thing to be doing these days.
- The Best WordPress SEO Plugin
- Advice – Nofollow Blog Comments
- Host WordPress blog in a subdomain or directory?
- How To Exclude A Category or Post From RSS Feed in WordPress
- List Recent Posts From Single Category on Posts Within Same Category
- Add Text To Home Page Only on WordPress Blog
- WordPress Contact Form 7 Redirect To Thank You Page
- Speed Up Contact Form 7 Plugin For WordPress
- Dynamic PHP Copyright Notice in WordPress
- How To Import Large WordPress XML File Above Default Limit Size