How Much Does A Website Cost in 2018?
How much does it cost to make a website in the UK today?
The simple answer is it depends on your requirements.
How Much Is A Website from Us?
We can create and setup very basic websites from as little as £250 and the most expensive website we created cost upwards of £15,000. The latter being a fully bespoke web portal development, based on a client’s needs. Our most popular package for small businesses is this.
- If you only need a few pages, and an email form, perhaps our no-frills static website from £250+VAT would suit. It’s still a million times better than a lot of the cheap alternatives on offer.
- if you need a small business website but want to edit it yourself in the future, then our small business website package starts from £950+VAT with a complete content management system (CMS) and is very popular
- if you need a large WP site managed, or rebuilt, we can quote for this on a case-by-case
- Every website we produce comes with a free technical seo check
We tailor websites to meet every type of client’s budget, and jobs are thoroughly costed before we proceed. We work with every type of business, including the NHS, charities, churches & cathedrals and SME.
As an SEO company, we make websites that work well on all major search engines, including Google.
So whether you need only a small website, or your ambitions are much broader, contact us today, and we will cost your website to the last penny before we start designing and building.
Don’t settle for a cheap website you will regret – choose us, based near Glasgow, to create a stunning website for you, regardless of your budget.
We have worked with thousands of customers all over the UK, including London, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Table of Contents
Who Owns Your Website Design, Code, Domain, Blog and Traffic Analytics Data?
If you work with us, YOU do.
A while ago we were asked to find out why a client had no traffic to a site (even after an SEO campaign with another SEO firm).
To identify all the issues, we had to pay a website development company thousands of pounds so I could just LOOK at the back-end of a content management system because the client “didn’t own the code”. The web company did.
After a golden handshake, I got access, and the result is we’re dumping a brand new content management system costing over £15k because the thing can’t even produce unique page titles on single pages. The CMS didn’t even have a function to delete pages.
At the moment, I can’t access another client’s analytics data because it’s not the client’s – it’s the web development company who installed it (yes, that free thing you get from Google called Analytics).
The same company added a @60 page blog to the client site as part of an SEO campaign – now that’s over, they’ve deleted the blog and its content because it was, in simple terms, “theirs”.
I’ll not comment further, just to say if you are paying money for a website, ENSURE:
- You own the website
- You own the domain
- You own the copyright and code (if copyright is applicable)
- You own the analytics data
- You own all data, logins and subscriptions (like Google local business) and can access them via an email account YOU CONTROL
- You own the content
- You can safely move the contents to the website to another host
…in fact, just make sure you own everything and can access everything and can indeed transfer everything easily, and at no further cost to you, or you could end up thousands of pounds out of pocket for something you thought you owned… and don’t.
Just ask your web dev company – find out what you own‚ and get them to sign something saying so, too. Any reasonable company agrees to this.
Remember if it all goes belly up, you as the client will be held accountable for not getting these basic things agreed in the first place – leaves a nasty taste in the mouth, believe me.
Everything set up to do with your website should be in your name. Give the web company strict instructions it’s YOU who are giving THEM access to this data, and you are paying them to do this for you.
Don’t Buy A CMS – Get A FREE Content Management System
Based in Scotland, Hobo is, first and foremost, an SEO company, but we make WordPress websites.
In fact, we’ve built WordPress websites for corporates, colleges, universities and charities – and a lot of small businesses.
To be successful in Google, you need a website you can update easily because Google loves fresh unique content. Understanding this, every site we design needs to be easy to edit, and easy to add this fresh content that is so important to free traffic from Google.
That’s why, when you hire us to create your next website, every one of our websites come with a free content management system (a CMS) installed. Yes, that’s right – you do not need to ‘buy it’.
What’s more, it’s not just any CMS either. Our website designers use two – Joomla and WordPress – both of which have been quite literally voted ‘best in the world’ when it comes to what they each do.
WordPress or Joomla – Which CMS Is best of the two for small businesses?
I see a lot of reviews of this kind out there, and frankly, a lot I read, don’t seem to be coming from actual EXPERIENCE. I remember YEARS ago asking the same question – Which is Better – WordPress or Joomla?
I can give you my honest opinion as myself, and my team, have had years experience with both open source content management systems.
I love Joomla when I spend time in it and WordPress too (Hobo is built with WP), and I had a rule of thumb….
- building a big document depository? Use Joomla.
- building a site you just want to update with company news and the like? Go with WordPress.
Both are great systems (for FREE) and both can do what the other does, but I think Joomla takes too much time to configure (especially with CLIENTS in the mix), and too much time to troubleshoot conflicts, especially when you’re interested in SEO (!) – and shouldn’t every website owner be?
Of course, both systems leave a lot to be desired when it comes to SEO – especially search engine friendly URLs and canonicalisation issues / duplicate content woes though both can be addressed – though it’s worth pointing out WordPress makes this very easy indeed.
Of course, I am not denying you can’t build a great site that ranks well with both cms (content management systems) – because you can – but when it comes down to it, I prefer WordPress, and that system is what we’ll be focusing on from this point on.
Joomla, for us, simply costs too much money and time in the long run, even with experience, in comparison with WordPress. This has got to be acknowledged.
Too many times are we editing Joomla sites thinking “we wish this was WordPress” as more often than not, adding new components seems to totally screw with the SEO component – so much so I think the guy who made it must have been pulling his *&^%ing hair out….. like we have in the past.
Even though we built, what I think, is the perfect e-commerce platform with Joomla for SEO purposes, we decided to scrap it AT THE LAST MINUTE and redo it in WordPress, just so we wouldn’t have component problems in the future.
Joomla is a fantastic CMS, but WordPress is just so much simpler for most people to get to grips with.
Advice – Just starting out? Thinking about which is better? which is simpler? Which is easier to use?
Choose WordPress, not Joomla…. (and if you have an e-commerce site, I prefer Magento in 2018 – for smaller businesses).
What Is ‘WordPress’?
WordPress is a full-fledged content management system, created by the ‘community’, for the community, and free. You don’t need to buy it, no matter what other website design companies may tell you. What’s more, it is super-powerful, allowing you to do whatever you want to do with your site, and we can give you a free quote.
We don’t ‘sell’ WordPress. These CMS come free. When you employ us to design your new website, we build the new site ‘on top’ of these systems, so you (or your staff) can edit the site yourself.
When you buy a website from us, you can be assured it’ll be Google friendly, built with web accessibility in mind, professionally designed and easy to edit. You’re paying for the time it takes to create the look and feel of the site and then develop the structure and content of the site. The CMS is not a ‘cost’, so you instantly save money. All our effort goes into configuring the usability, visibility and accessibility of the site.
At the end, you own the site, the domain, the design and the right to operate your site built on WordPress. You own everything, including all creative copyright.
There are no catches.
The only website you’ll ever need (probably)
And you can try it – Before you buy it! It’s got everything you’d ever need from most websites – truly cutting edge in every way. We’re genuinely excited about this new product, and the cost we can supply it for! Bespoke Website Design, 100% Content Managed, Search Engine Friendly, Unlimited User Licences and near infinitely Expandable.
This website is suitable for any almost any organisation and we have a fantastic small business website offer for you.
1. 100% Content Managed Website
Yes! You can change the text, images and navigation on the site. You can make whole sections appear or disappear on your site with one click of a button. You can upload pdf or word documents.
2. Search Engine Friendly
Your new WordPress website generates search engine friendly pages, meaning you will get all the pages on your site into Google, Yahoo and MSN. Combined with our Hobo SEO package, you can be sure of good visibility in Google etc.
3. Cutting Edge Accessible Website Design
The WordPress system uses the latest search engine friendly CSS templates to generate all your web pages, ensuring your website is published meeting any UK Government or W3C Recommendation for good practice website design accessibility.
Your new Wordpress site contains a powerful Content Management System (CMS) that will help you get the most out of your website.
WordPress is suitable for almost any type of site
WordPress is suitable for:
- Corporate websites or portals
- Online commerce
- Small business websites
- Non-profit and organizational websites
- Government applications
- Corporate intranets and extranets
- Schools, Churches & Cathedrals Web Design
- Personal or family homepages
- Community-based portals
- Magazines and newspapers
- The possibilities are limitless
WordPress can be used to easily manage every aspect of your website, from adding content and images to updating a product catalogue or taking online reservations.
WordPress for Users
Once WordPress is installed and running, it is simple for even non-technical users to add or edit content, easy to update images, and simple to manage the critical data that makes your company or organisation tick.
Anybody with basic word processing skills can easily learn to manage a WordPress site.
Via a simple, browser-based interface (that is, you can log in from anywhere) you will be able to easily add new press releases or news items, manage staff pages, job listings, product images, and create an unlimited amount of sections or content pages on your site.
A new website can be launched, with your bespoke design and feel, with your content and the following pages and plug-ins installed as standard:
- 10 Pages (unlimited page generation if you have more pages)
- Free set-up, free domain management and free hosting management if required to set up the site
- Document Management / Upload System
- News Blog
- Email Newsletter (RSS)
- Data Collection and Reporting Tools
- Email Contact Form
- Powerful Google Analytics software to track visitors
The basic system can be expanded to include:
- Integrated e-commerce systems
- Inventory control systems
- Data reporting tools
- Custom product catalogues
- Complex business directories
- Reservation systems
- Communication tools
- Application bridges
- Image and Multimedia Gallery
- …or any kind of application to suit a unique need, and priced separately (you may need a specialist plugin created to suit your needs and we can do that kind of work)
This website publishing system is ideal for any type of organisation or business. The basic system can be in place in fast. Bespoke designs within a week or two!
Based in Glasgow and looking for a web design company?
We’re eager and willing to tender detailed website specification and very competitive cost estimate documents for any website design and development projects you may have.
We specialise in WordPress website design and development.
If you have a job you would like us to give you a no obligation spec for, contact us today – why not send us (in full confidence) your project specifications document and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.
We’ll try our very best to give you the most competitive quote based on your client requirements, which we can even help you formulate.
Rest assured our cost estimates are complete, professional, transparent and accurate – and then we’ll deliver the service we promise – check out how much does it cost to make a website or contact us.
Small Business Website Design Package – £950 + VAT
We have had a lot of small businesses ask about our very competitively priced ‘Edit-Yourself’ Small Business Website Design Package, so I thought I would post on the blog what type of small business website package you actually get from only £950 +VAT.
What You Get:
You may not need all of this, but just in case you do:
- Domain name administration and management (your web address) if required
- Hosting management.
- A content management system (CMS) so you can edit the site yourself, add pages, change structure, add text, add plugins… you can do anything with it – and you can log into your secure area from any computer, anywhere in the world, whenever you want to make changes
- A design for your website based on open-source website templates and, for instance, your logo.
- Latest news, newsletter & RSS feeds & subscription so you can build your own email list
- A seo-friendly website design and website structure
- Basic ad-hoc SEO (search engine optimisation) based on a few select keywords YOU supply
- We’ll launch the website with your text and images in place, then you take it from there, with our continued support if you wish
- We’ll install Google Analytics, so you can see how many visitors visit your website, where they come from and what they do on your website.
This small business website design package is designed to give you a fully functional website you own and control 100%, an editable website where you can easily publish and un-publish pages and news. We’re an SEO company, so we know how to build websites that search engines like.
How long does it take to build a website?
We can usually create and launch your site to the world in 4 weeks assuming you can supply us with everything we need.
So that’s it. The Hobo SME / Small Business Website Design & Promotion Package – yours from Only £950 +VAT – and we will handle everything.
Of course, we’ll help you in every way we can;
- You need to supply everything in electronic format (images and content).
- Our websites range from £250 to £15,000. Costs for web design vary and are based largely on the cost of the actual design, amount of content and images, and functionality. The small business package is designed to give you a cutting edge seo-friendly website at the lowest cost possible.
- We do not guarantee rankings in Google, no SEO company can or should. You will have a seo-friendly website and by adding good content to your site, attracting good quality links from other relevant websites, and by examining your competitors and carrying out keyword research, you’ll have a chance to rank for desired key terms in Google (or you can employ us to do this for you, as the package is not an SEO campaign designed to get you to No1 in Google for competitive key phrases)
- Any training, additional work that we have to complete or functionality that we have to include out-with the items listed above will be charged for at an agreed rate before any work is undertaken.
- We’re not responsible for problems arising when dealing with 3rd part hosting or domain management firms.
- The small business website package does not include E-Commerce Shops although we can quote for such sites separately
Use the form below to contact us today about any enquiry you may have: