Google SEO Starter Guide: Google has released a free PDF ebook you can download.
The Google SEO Starter Guide for beginners offers advice on mainly on-page and on-site seo:
- SEO Basics
- Create unique, accurate page titles
- Make use of the “description” meta tag
- Improving Site Structure
- Improve the structure of your URLs
- Make your site easier to navigate
- Optimizing Content
- Offer quality content and services
- Write better anchor text
- Optimize your use of images
- Use heading tags appropriately
- Dealing with Crawlers
- Make effective use of robots.txt
- Be aware of rel=”nofollow” for links
- SEO for Mobile Phones
- Notify Google of mobile sites
- Guide mobile users accurately
- Promotions and Analysis
- Promote your website in the right ways
- Make use of free webmaster tools
It makes for a good read for those new to SEO.
Note the Starter Guide was updated in 2010, and the ‘cheat sheet’ was released in 2013.